Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Last Running Day!!!

I'm surprised I didn't write any updates on the training since the announcement that I'll just be doing the half.  Or maybe I'm not.  I took on a large sewing project for my cousin and that kind of took over everything.  I even ended up missing two training days while trying to get it all done, which, for the record, I didn't.  It was a lot of work.  I'll post pictures after I get everything sent off and then beg for pictures.

Anyway, today was the last day of running before the half marathon.  I still have one more day of walking to go.  I've been following the idea of tapering off the running for a few weeks ahead of time. The idea is that all the conditioning is not lost and the body gets ample time to rest and repair.  I like that it involves less running.

I am very excited for the half marathon.  It feels like a culmination of my efforts, almost like a graduation ceremony.  My last long training run was 14 miles, so I know I can do this.  I'm hoping to make the run without stopping but I won't feel like a failure if I have to walk a little bit.  After running down the canyon a couple of times in training runs I know how much I love it.  That may be one reason why I'm so excited.  A downhill canyon run that ends in crossing a finish line is pretty sweet. Too add to it all, my race will include a pair of these:
These shoes make me think of Spiderman.  Not sure why...
I had kind of hoped for a pair of obnoxiously bright neon shoes, but you go with what is best for your foot.  Although I was a little disappointed to find that this style does, indeed, come in the obnoxious neon, I won't be exchanging them because I also like the purple.  But even if these shoes only came in a combination of putrid green and orange I would still wear them.  I knew my old shoes were worn out, I just didn't realize how bad they really were.  When I went in to get new shoes I asked to have my run evaluated again.  And it's a good thing I did.

After running longer distances I've got a much better grasp on what my legs and feet are doing while I run.  I was correct in guessing that I need a stability shoe.  When the salesman showed me how my foot was striking the ground I was shocked to see the amount of over-pronation I had going on.  No wonder my ankles hurt so much.  Now my ankles are happy again.

Next time I post I will have finished the half marathon.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment