Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tutu Onesie

I used this onesie before and promised that the finished product would be shown.  Here it is!  I think this is one of the cutest little things for little girls I've seen in a long time.  To get started you'll need a ruler, marking tool (I used the wax tailor chalk), elastic thread, and 3 inch strips of sheer tricot (also called nylon chiffon, but I can't bring myself to do it.  It's the sewing teacher in me rearing its ugly head).  FYI, I buy my sheer tricot here.  They also have it in precut strips if you want to make a lot.

Start off by marking the onesie at 1/4" above the binding around the leg.  Mark both the front and back.

Make three more marks, each one another 1/4"-3/8" above the previous line.  I thought a simple 1/4" apart looked a bit too close together.

Gather the fabric strip down the middle.  I used my ruffle foot.  It would be really easy to just use a gathering stitch if you don't have a ruffle foot.  You don't need to gather it super tight.  This is one of those times when it's almost a "less is more" kind of situation.  It may have been about a 2:1 ratio.  I never checked.

Wind a bobbin with your elastic thread.  This will add stretch so your stitching doesn't break.  You could also use a stretch stitch and pull the onesie as you sew, but this is easier.  Start off sewing on the line closest to the neck and move the onesie to the left for each line after that.  It makes it easier.  Trust me.  Stitch the tricot on to the onesie, keeping the stitch on the fabric over the placement line and sewing on top of the gathering stitch.

IMPORTANT:  Make sure to stretch the onesie a little bit as you sew.  There will still be stretch if you don't, but it will pull in extra tight on her little backside.

Once you've done the first row, fold both tricot layers toward the neck.  As I started sewing I realized that the very easiest thing to do was simply use the last stitching line as a placement guide.  It worked perfectly to put the edge of the presser foot against the folded-back edge of my last row ofstitching.

Another thing I discovered as I continued sewing was that I did not need the fourth placement line.  It would certainly make the tutu more full, but I didn't care about that very much.  I thought it looked good with three and I stopped there.

The look of the tutu can be changed by using different fabric colors or different widths of tricot strips.  The animal print fabric was 3" wide, but I've also done it at 2" wide (see picture below).  I didn't think that was wide enough.  You can decide what you want to do on your own.

It's super cute for crawlers, walkers, or just a no-fuss and cool summer outfit.  Next time there's a baby shower for a girl I may just whip one of these up.  I always tend to have a little sheer tricot on hand.


Linking up here:
Creative Sewing Blog
 photo blogbutton_zpsb1fa0f6d.jpg

7 comments:

  1. So cute! I love these! It's the perfect touch for a onesie! I can't believe how your kids have grown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You could definitely use tulle. The sheer tricot is a bit softer but tulle would work just as well.

      Delete
  3. Do you fold the tricot in half before you gather it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to figure out how to get my ruffler to stitch down the middle of the 3" strip without folding it.... Thanks in advance!

      Delete
    2. Are you maybe feeding the ruffle through the prong guides? When I go down the center of the ruffle I place the fabric strips over the guides without passing through them. That gives me space to slide the strip far enough to the right that I can stitch down the center without folding the fabric. If that doesn't help, let me know and we'll see if we can figure it out.

      Delete