Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Dressing My Truth

I'm trying something new.  Well, I guess "new" isn't necessarily the right word.  Stuff like this has been around for quite a while and I remember looking through my mom's book about seasons many years ago.  I digress.  Anyway, last week I purchased the Dressing Your Truth course.  I'd seen suggestions for it on Facebook and finally decided to check it out when I saw something about the free beauty profiling course they send to your email.  I found it very interesting.
Type 1 makeover
After going through the free course it was pretty clear that I'm a Type 4, the "bold, striking" type of beauty.  I'm good with that.  Actually I'm very pleased about it, which is also kind of the point of the course.  What sets this course apart from other similar systems is that it has less to do with skin, eye, and hair color than it does with personality and how you express yourself.  I appreciate that this course shows that every woman has her own type of beauty and how to dress herself to honor (they use that word a lot) that inner and outer beauty.
Type 2 makeover
As a 12 or 13 year old girl I and other girls in our church youth group were draped in fabrics to find our season.  Before any draping happened we were told about common personality traits among the "seasons".  Winter seemed to have more negative than positive qualities to it.  When my turn to be draped came I didn't care which season I was so long as it wasn't the winter.  After trying a few different drapes on me, the woman talking to us got a look of pity/apology on her face and said, "You know what?  I think you're a winter."  I was so disappointed.  I didn't want to be a winter.  That memory has stuck with me for a long time.
Type 3 makeover.  This one is my favorite.  She looks amazing!
Now that I'm a Type 4 with Dressing Your Truth I wouldn't have it any other way.  I learned to love myself for who I am years ago and it's refreshing that Dressing Your Truth attaches value to that.  It's not as life-changing to me as it has been to others, though I do like the extra permission to just be myself and appreciate the gift that is to myself and others.  Moving forward, the challenge is embracing the change in clothing and adopting things that I might not have tried before.  For example, in the transformation video for the Type 4 women they put a woman in an orange shirt.  That's the one color I've never felt I could pull off.  Now I really want one.  I also need to figure out accessories.  Hopefully I can get comfortable with those again.
Type 4 makeover
I've decided to document the process of dressing my truth.  I took a before picture knowing that the shirt was off.  I like it a lot, but it's not quite right.  Hopefully at the end of 30 days of trying to dress my truth every day I'll have a really fun after picture too.  I'm toying with the idea of posting a picture every day, but common sense tells me that won't happen.  So here's my before picture:
Before.  The stripes are good for my Type but the color could be better. 
It's not terrible but I'm hoping that by the time 30 days is finished I'll be looking really fabulous.  Let me know if it's something you have tried or want to try so I can see how it goes.

P.S.  If you do decide to buy the course for your Type, wait until you get the email with the $99 cost or the $33/month for 3 months price.  Just a hint.  Also, all the makeover pictures were taken from the Dressing Your Truth site.

1 comment:

  1. "Wait until you get the e-mail with the [discount]" Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete