Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Glitzy Ombre Maxi Skirt

This skirt has taken me longer to make than anything else I've ever done.  Not that it was a difficult pattern or anything, it just took a long time to get around to it.  I bought the fabric at least five years ago, maybe closer to ten.  I almost gave the fabric away because I thought I'd never use it.  After finally cutting it out and sewing up the sides it sat on my to-do pile for a while before I put the facing on.  Then I waited around forever to hem it.  You get the idea.  Thank goodness I didn't give the fabric away.  I kind of love this skirt now that I've finished it.
It's comfy enough for wearing anytime and the sequins and beads add enough sparkle to dress it up and make me feel pretty.  I wish the pictures did it the justice it deserves.
The pattern I used is a simple a-line skirt.  As with most of my patterns, it is out of print.  Butterick 4233.  I cut it on the straight grain instead of on the bias as is called for on the pattern.  There are no darts and no pleats--just shaped front and back pieces with a grosgrain ribbon facing.  I do wish, however, that I had made a traditional waist facing rather than using the ribbon as the pattern suggests. With embroidered and beaded fabric there's no need for interesting lines or pattern details.  Easy and gorgeous.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment