|I don't always use out-of-print patterns, I swear.|
|I didn't think about how thin the pink gingham fabric was. If I were to do it over again I would have lined the yoke on the waist. I was in a hurry.|
Now comes the surprise part of the dress. I added an under layer to the skirt with lots of sheer tricot ruffles. I already had plenty on hand because I've made a few pettiskirts and had quite a bit left over. I broke out my trusty(ish) ruffle foot and let it do the ruffling work for me. On the wrong side of the over layer I added some rows of bias tape to make a casing for ribbon drawstrings to bring up bits of the skirt to show off the ruffle layer. I'm pleased with the result. It took quite a bit of figuring to get the hem right when you include the pink trim at the bottom and the fact that I wanted that part left separate from the drawstrings. It was a bit of a headache but it all worked out. The plaid pattern is busy enough that it hides to stitching lines beautifully.
|Surprise! There's a layer of pink and lavender ruffles.|
UPDATE: My mother in law (the one who gave me the fabric) saw the dress and recognized the fabric. When I told her she had given it to me she said she should give me more of her fabric to work with. It's always a big win when the person who gave the fabric is happy and impressed with the finished product. Even if it took several years to get around to using it.